Wednesday 29th March, 2017
Translate Language:::
Share

Aba massacre: Army, IPOB disagree on burning of corpses

Aba massacre: Army, IPOB disagree on burning of corpses

The Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB), has accused the Nigerian Army of de­stroying evidence of crime against humanity perpe­trated by security agencies in Aba, Abia State, against Biafran agitators, by burn­ing corpses of the slain agi­tators.
IPOB spokespersons, Barr Emma Nmezu and Dr Clifford Chukwuemeka Iroanya, who made the allegation in a press state­ment, said 13 corpses of Biafran agitators killed by the security agents were discovered in Aba on Feb­ruary 12, 2016 but were later burnt by the military when the attention of the Amnesty International was drawn to the atrocity.
This, according to the statement which was made available to The AU­THORITY in Umuahia, was to destroy evidence of genocide by the security operatives and their pos­sible trial at the Interna­tional Criminal Court at The Hague.
But when contacted, the Army Spokesman in Abia, Major Sydney Mbaneme simply said: “It is not true; it is a lie.”
He absolved the Army of any involvement in the alleged destruction of evi­dence of genocide.
The IPOB statement read in part: “On Friday, the 12th of February 2016, we discovered 13 mur­dered corpses of Biafrans which were dumped by killer-soldiers of 144 Bat­talion of the Nigerian Army in a burrow pit lo­cated in Asa, along Aba-Port Harcourt Road in Abia State.
“Human Rights Organ­isations, Amnesty Inter­national Representatives, and other third-party or­ganisations visited the lo­cation between 12th and 15th of February 2016 for on-the-spot assessment during which pictures were taken and video cov­erage made of the carnage.
“On the 21st of Febru­ary 2016, Brig-General Ayuba Tedman Hamman, the Provost Marshal of the Nigerian Army, an­nounced that an inves­tigative team from the Nigerian Army has been dispatched to Aba to ver­ify the authenticity of the news about the killing of Biafrans by soldiers of the 144 Battalion.
“Meanwhile, Amnesty International had already commenced investigations and planned a second visit to the dump site. On their second visit to the site on the 1st of March 2016, the Amnesty International Representative discovered that the corpses were up in flames in addition to dif­ferent types of chemicals that were poured on the decomposing bodies.
 

SHARE ON: