Five persons were allegedly electrocuted on Tuesday morning after a transformer at Rumuorosi in Rumuigbo, in Obio/Akpo Local Government Area developed fault leading to very high voltage.
An eyewitness, Allwell Michael, narrated that the transformer that supplied electricity to the area exploded before the incident occurred.
He narrated that after the transformer exploded, power went off and was immediately restored but the current was very high.
“The transformer exploded and they still brought light immediately. The current was so high that people rushed to switch off their gadgets. One man was fetching water when the thing happened. He rushed to put off his light but immediately he touched the switch, his white eyes came out and he died there. Five people died in the incident.”
Also, the Community Development Committee Chairman of Rumuorosi, Comrade Emmanuel Womanda, noted that the incident had caused panic in the area.