Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has said he would not be intimidated by the prospect of the International Criminal Court (ICC) putting him on trial over his bloody war on drugs, promising that his campaign would continue and would be “brutal”.
“I will not be intimidated and I shall not be stopped just by what? International Criminal Court? Impeachment? If that is part of my destiny, it is my destiny to go,” Duterte told reporters on Sunday, shortly before leaving for Myanmar.
“The drive against corruption, criminality and drugs will resume and it will continue and it will be brutal,” he said.
“I will not be, for a moment, be out of focus on that. I rose on what I promised and I will fall on that.”
More than 8,000 people have died since Duterte took office on June 30 last year, and began his anti-drugs campaign.
A third of the fatalities were killed in raids and sting operations by police who say they acted in self-defence, while the rest were killed by unknown gunmen.