Lagos State Government says its special task force on land grabbing has received 1,237 petitions in the last seven months.
The state Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr Adeniji Kazeem, said this on Tuesday in Lagos at the 2017 Ministerial Press Briefing of the state Ministry of Justice.
The briefing was held as part of activities to give account of Gov Akinwunmi Ambode’s achievements in the sector as his administration clocks two years on May 29.
Kazeem said about 250 of the petitions, which were received by the special task force inaugurated in September 2016, had been resolved through various means including physical enforcement, mediation and conciliation.
According to him, the task force has been given a permanent office to further enhance its operations and bring succour to the people of Lagos State.
NAN reports that the state government had set up the task force soon after Gov Ambode’s signing of the Lagos State Properties Protection Law in August 2016.
The law, aimed at checking the menace of land grabbing in Lagos, stipulates as much as 21-year jail term for convicts.