The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has explained the decision to begin this year’s Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) with 57,000 candidates out of the total number of 1,736,571 persons that registered for the examination.
JAMB’s Registrar, Prof. Ish-aq Oloyede, who gave the explanation while monitoring the examination in Abuja at the weekend, said the decision to limit the number of candidates in the weeklong examination was to allow the Computer-Based Test (CBT) centres cover for any contingency.
“The first day we are having a little above 57,000 we want to be skeletal today. We do not want to have the three sessions today, this is the first day and we expect that they will have some wiring problems because we know that most of the centres have been abandoned since last year but by Monday, we will start three full sessions,” he said.
According to Prof. Oloyede, the UTME, which enters the second day today (Monday) is taking place in 642 CBT centres across the country, and would be concluded 20th May, 2017.
While expressing satisfaction with the performance of the technology used in the conduct of the examination, the registrar said reports from across the country indicated that the exercise has so far been successful in all the CBT centres but four.
His words: “Out of 642 centres, we have problems with four. We have two problems in Bauchi, one in Kano, one in Ekpoma, not from technology problem but from those who are cutting corners in the centres, those who have not put the centres in place and for the ingenuity of certain people and criminals that do not know that we have put technology in place to detect what they are doing.”
Some of the candidates who spoke with The AUTHORITY at the Digital Bridge Institute, one of the CBT centres, in Abuja, commended JAMB for the orderly manner the examination was organised.