Sunday 23rd July, 2017
Translate Language:::

We arrested Evans, kidnap kingpin, for robbery in 2006 - Police

We arrested Evans, kidnap kingpin, for robbery in 2006 - Police

The arrested kidnap kingpin, Chukwudi Onuamadike alias Evans, was arrested in 2006 for armed robbery where seven members of his gang died while sharing their loot in Lagos State.

A very reliable police source revealed this on Sun­day as investigations on Ev­ans past activities deepened.

The News Agency of Ni­geria (NAN) gathered that Evans and his robbery gang, in 2006 attacked a commer­cial bank in Lagos and went somewhere around the Na­tional Arts Theatre, Iganmu, to share the loot.

It was gathered that while sharing the loot, the robbers had a disagreement and shot one another. Seven members of the gang died instantly.

“The then Divisional Po­lice Officer of Iponri Police Station, Yahaya Bello, now a deputy commissioner of po­lice, said there was a serious incident involving some per­sons who shot at one another. He said about three of them had been arrested.

“One of the members of the gang arrested then was Chukwudi Onuamadike, popularly known as Evans. If you look at his chest, I cannot remember whether it is the right or left side, there is a scar. It was as a result of the gunshot from his gang mem­bers that day.

“He bled and there was no way he could run away be­fore the police came. The case was transferred to the Lagos State Anti-Robbery Squad. We investigated and discov­ered that they were armed robbers.

“Evans led the team. We also went to Mbidi Police Station, Imo State, to carry out an investigation on them. We were able to arrest two other members of the gang. We then had five of them in police custody.

“There was a policewom­an at the Band Section of the Police College, Lagos. She was known as Tina, a Su­perintendent of Police. She insisted that we should drop the case and that Onuama­dike (Evans) was her brother.

“But when she was una­ble to achieve her aim, she travelled to Imo State. Not long after, we got a message from the Imo State Police Command that they had been searching for Evans and asked us to transfer the case to them so they could contin­ue from where we stopped.

“Since that time, we did not hear anything. We heard he was later released there,” the source said.