The National Vice President of Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN), South South zone, Mr Eddie Bekom, wife and son have died of cooking gas explosion.
Bekom, a staff of Cross River Broadcasting Service, Ikom died on Sunday evening.
His wife and ten-year old son died at the Plastic Surgery Department of the Federal Teaching Hospital Abakaliki (FETHA), few days after the explosion.
They left behind three other children.
The gas explosion that claimed their lives occurred in their lkom residence in Cross River State as the cooking gas exploded in the apartment of their neighbour and spread to their own apartment.
The AUTHORITY gathered that while they were being taken to a hospital in Enugu State it was discovered that their conditions worsened hence they were taken to emergency unit in the FETHA.
In a statement signed by Ebonyi State Chairman of SWAN, Comrade Chukwuemeka Opara, the chapter regretted that after all efforts made to save Bekom’s life, he still died after the death of two of his family members.
“In this moment of utmost grief, we commiserate with the entire SWAN
family and pray that God gives us all and the entire Bekom family, the fortitude to bear these irreparable losses.
“We use this opportunity to thank Ebonyi State Government for pledging to offset the entire bills of treating the Bekom family, the management and staff of FETHA, SWAM members, other journalists among others who through prayers, financial contributions, well wishes among means, contributed in ensuring Eddy and family lived and got cured”, he said.
He enjoined the SWAN family not to be demoralised by the tragic event but see it as a challenge to redouble its efforts in repositioning sports journalism in the country as it was the only way to effectively immortalising him for his immense contribution in developing SWAN.