From Angela Nkwo-Akpolu, Owerri
Amidst the controversy over who succeeds him, Governor Rochas Okorocha yesterday endorsed his son in-law, Chief Uche Nwosu to seek the plum job saying he will support him to achieve the feat.
Nwosu is Okorocha’s Chief of Staff as well as his son in-law, married to his first daughter.
Okorocha spoke when he played host to the officials of the All Progressives Congress, (APC) and leaders from Owerri Municipal Council at the Government House to urge him to encourage and support Chief Nwosu for the governorship position of the State in 2019, saying the monumental achievements of the Governor should not be left in the hand of just any person.
According to Okorocha, Chief Nwosu has not intimated him of any plans to succeed him but quickly added that if his Chief of Staff does, he will go all out to support him.
The governor stated a�?Uche Nwosu is hardworking, and never gets tired. He is a very humble young man. Not proud. Not arrogant. So, Power wona��t enter his head. In spite of the position he occupies you cana��t see him quarrelling with anybody or maltreating anybody. He does not segregate against anybody whether from Orlu or Owerri or Okigwe zone. He relates with people enviously. I have checked him in and out, and I have not found him wantinga�?.
He explained that the State needs a Governor and not a senatorial zone Governor, saying, a�?what the State wants is Imo Governor and not Owerri Zone or Orlu Zone or Okigwe Zone Governor. Zoning does not put food on the table of anybody. The young man is a team player, who does not use his office to molest anybody. He has the qualities of a good leader. If he says he will run for Governor, I will support hima�?.
Okorocha opined that Nwosu’s sterling qualities most have made people to link him to Governorship contest even when he is yet to indicate interest.
The governor said “it might also be the reason for the endorsements he is getting from all quarters. You see, you dona��t hide a good product. And the joy of every leader is to have a worthy successor. You dona��t mind political opportunists. We have done very well as a government and we should be concerned about what happens to the achievements aftera�?.
He argued thus, a�?I am not from Owerri zone, but my administration has done more projects in Owerri zone and Owerri Municipal in particular more that the administrations before me had done put together. We need Imo governor and not a zonal governor. I have done in Okigwe zone what the man from the zone could not do for them. The records are therea�?.
Speaking on President Muhammadu Buhari’s return bid in 2019, the Governor called on the Igbos to vote massively in support because “the Igbos need the North for Political survival”.
In their speech earlier, Hon Barr Obinna Mbata who spoke on behalf of the Party and Political leaders from Owerri Municipal said their desire is to see a person with a sense of leadership no matter where the person comes from to succeed Governor Okorocha, and a person who believes in development, saying they have seen Chief Nwosu as the man with those qualities.
Barr Mbataa��s words a�?The question is what happens to the amazing achievements of the governor after he must have left. The achievements of the governor have exceeded the expectations of so many people. And who succeeds him should be the concern of all patriotic Citizens of the State. That is why we are here, to tell you that Uche Nwosu has all it takes to measure up wella�?.
Among the dignitaries in attendance is the member representing Owerri Municipal Constituency in the State House of Assembly, Hon Lugard Osuji.
Gov Okorocha endorses son in-law as successorFebruary 12th, 2018
From Angela Nkwo-Akpolu, Owerri
- 13 year-old drown in Rivers
- School feeding programme targets 12m children in 2018 – PDU
- 2018 Nobel Peace Prize: FIDA Nigeria congratulates Mukwege, Murad
- NYSC lauds SOAR on efforts to curb child sexual abuse
- Abuja natives urge EFCC, others to investigate forgery allegation against First Bank
- My brother’s bitter encounter with suspected Boko Haram insurgents – Rivers housewife
- Stop conniving with our former chairman, Labour Party tells INEC Boss
- Ugwuanyi inaugurates action committee on Enugu Airport upgrade
- FG, stakeholders, destroy materials infected with cow disease
- Ogun state IFAD seek policy sustainability of agricultural value chain
- Small scale women farmers seek direct govt support, ownership of land
- Anambra community petitions Buhari, IGP over police harassment
- Fayose must not die in your custody, Timi Frank warns EFCC
- Atletico Madrid in shock move for Fabregas
- kabiru Dogo resigns as head coach of Nassarawa United.
- Aiteo Cup: Pillars to camp in Benin for Rangers
- Ogunbote assures on Aiteo cup
- Shippers to sue FG over infrastructure-induced losses
- Seme Customs generate over N1bn, makes 120 seizures
- NPA seeks single window for all agencies to quicken cargo clearance
- 2019: Atiku picks ex-governor Peter Obi as running mate
- BREAKING | 2019: @Atiku Defeat others to emerge as PDP Presidential Candidate
- BREAKING: Mama Taraba resigns as minister, dumps APC
- BREAKING: Military jet fighter crashes in Abuja
- #FIFAFootballAwards: Luka Modric beats Ronaldo, Salah to win Best FIFA Player award
- CBN revokes Skye Bank’s licence, Polaris Bank to take over assets
- FG halts proposed National carrier
- FEC confirms Zainab Ahmed as substantive Minister of Finance
- BREAKING: Kemi Adeosun ‘Resigns’ As Finance Minister
- Southern leaders reject new DSS DG, describe Buhari as Nigeria’s most tribalistic leader
- Buhari drops Seiyefa, appoints Bichi DSS boss
- Tension as Melaye taken to court in Lokoja
- Drama as Police re-arrest Melaye in Abuja hospital
- Breaking: Police arrest Sen. Dino Arrested at Abuja airport
- We Recovered Stolen Senate Mace Under Bridge – Police
- Breaking news: Thugs invade NASS, escape with Senate Mace
- Buhari officially declares to run for second term
- Ex-Nasarawa Governor, Doma, Dies At 75
- The Future Of Alaigbo & The Federal Republic Of Nigeria
- Ifeanyi Ubah Eulogizes Ekwueme, Says He Was a Bastion of Integrity