From Steve Oko, Umuahia
No fewer than 165 youths in Abia Central senatorial district have undergone vocational training in various branches of agriculture under the youth empowerment scheme of Senator Theodore Orji.
The Senator who disclosed this yesterday in Umuahia said 20 of the beneficiaries selected from the six Local Government Areas in the zone were trained in mechanised farming at the National Centre for Agricultural Mechanisation, Ilorin, Kwara State.
He said 80 were trained at the National Root Crop Research Institute, Umudike, while 65 were trained at Federal College of Agriculture, Isiagu, Ebonyi State.
Specific areas of the training include: fishery, piggery, poultry as well as soap making.
The senator who spoke through his former Legislative Aide, and Commissioner for Public Utilities, Abia State, Chief Chidiebere Nwoke, said the beneficiaries would receive take off grant along with others in an elaborate empowerment programme coming up shortly.
Orji who said over 180 undergraduates had benefited from his scholarship scheme in the last three years said he was highly concerned about the future of youths in his zone, hence his relentless efforts towards establishing them.
He further explained that the reason he decided to train more youths in agriculture was to make them part of the solution to the food crisis in society as agriculture is becoming the mainstay of Nigerian economy.
The senator said he had also attracted some major projects in the district including roads, motorized water bore holes, rural electrification and transformers.
He promised to deliver more democracy projects in the months ahead while urging youths and eligible voters in the zone to make sure the get their voter’s card to enable them participate in the 2019 elections.
Sen Orji trains 165 constituents on agricultureFebruary 14th, 2018
From Steve Oko, Umuahia
- Kemi Olunloyo blasts Nigerian youths over Big Brother Naija
- Opara Zinny, set to make waves in new Nollywood movies
- Nollywood actor, Moses Armstrong, buries wife in Uyo
- Zafaa Reloaded returns to London, November 2018
- Police parade 51 kidnappers, Armed robbers, others in Rivers
- PDP, police bicker in Kano over advise to stop rally
- Buhari hosts Dapchi girls, offers amnesty to repentant Boko Haram
- NPFL Week 14 fixtures, Table Standing
- I can make the difference, Abiodun assures Sunshine fans
- NPFL defending champions, lose fifth season game
- Heartland lose again as Akwa United win rescheduled fixture
- Biafra Shadow Govt canvasses boycott of election, FG’s events
- The General Shagaya I know
- Re.The Media, NIA and the truth
- Dapchi girls: Of sham release and cynical citizenry
- Interview with Hon. Ayeola Abdul-Kadir Abayomi
- Access Bank earnings grows to N459.1bn
- FG commissions 50 vehicles to track down illegal miners
- ‘US-Nigeria investment summit will explore untapped opportunities’
- Glo celebrates outstanding African athletes
- Ex-Nasarawa Governor, Doma, Dies At 75
- The Future Of Alaigbo & The Federal Republic Of Nigeria
- Ifeanyi Ubah Eulogizes Ekwueme, Says He Was a Bastion of Integrity
- We don’t have any data to back Ngige’s Claim of seven million new jobs – NBS
- Governor Simon Lalong rejects Cattle Colonies
- Ex- President, Olusegun Obasanjo writes Buhari, tells him not to seek Re-Election in 2019
- George Weah sworn in as President of Liberia
- 1 killed, another injured in attack on Plateau community
- Police investigate Gandujiyya/Kwankwasiyya clash
- Armed Forces Remebrance Day: Ganduje seeks better welfare for ex-service men
- 2019: FRCN barred me, says Buhari supporter
- Illegal Occupation: Court orders police to unseal Peace Corps’ office
- Charles Okah in safe custody, says NPS
- Meet the World’s Richest man : Jeff Bezos
- XENOPHOBIA | Four Nigerians in Critical Condition as South Africans attack Nigerians
- Libya Returnees Reject Edo Govt N1000 Transport Fares
- Super Eagles ready for England Challenge – Rohr
- Results of Delta State’s Local Government Elections
- One of 3 Kidnapped Reverend Sisters regains Freedom (PHOTOS)
- Meet the World’s Richest Footballer, Richer than Messi and Ronaldo, Worth €20Bn