By Francis Sadhere, Warri
There seems to be no end to the crisis rocking the Ugborodo community in Warri South West Local Government of Delta State as the community says it can no longer be under the control of the Olu of Warri, Ogiame
There are claims and counter claims by the Ugborodo Community and the Olu of Warri over who have lordship over the oil rich Ugborodo community that plays host to the major oil companies like Shell,
Chevron and manyA� others serviceA� companies.
A�Since oil exploration began in the community in 1959, there has been one leadership crisis to another all in a bid to control the monies that go to the community from the oil Companies.
Recently the people of the community who are obviously tired of the constant crisis rocking the community decided to end it by deciding to severe any relationship they had with the Warri Monarch who they accused of allegedly colluding with his Chiefs to under develop the community.
The community took their destinies in their hand and wrote an open letter to President Muhammadu Buhari, signed by some elders of the community where they told President Muhammadu Buhari that they no longer want to be under the overlord of the Olu of Warri.
But reacting to the report of the crisis, a factional leadership of the Ugborodo Community Council of Elders, had replied in a statement signed by 27 members of the Ugborodo Council of Elders refuting two open letters , addressed to President Muhammadu Buhari, insisting that Ugborodo Community is part and parcel of Warri Kingdom under the over-lordship of the Olu of Warri.
However theA� Ugborodo Community hadA� staged a peaceful protest round the town over theA� weekend, emphasizing that they have never been under the over-lordship of the Olu of Warri, claiming that they do not have Chief who represents them at the palace.
Some of the placards carried by the people during theA� peaceful protest reads, a�?Ugborodo Kingdom is not part of Olu of Warri,a�? a�?Governor Okowa, Ugborodo People Are Not Against Your Government,a�? a�?There Are No Kidnappers, Murderers, Criminals In Ugborodo Kingdom,a�? a�?Ugborodo Must Move Forward,a�? a�?We Have Different Kingdoms such as Ugborodo Kingdom, Gbaramatu Kingdom And Warri Kingdom,a�? a�?Governor Okowa Please Help Us Recover Funds Meant For The Development Of Ugborodo Kingdom From Chief Ayiri Emami,a�? etc.
Hon. Thomas Metseagharun, the Toritsemogha of Ugborodo Community who spoke to journalists during the peaceful protest said they are against the slavery of their people by some few people in Warri who have resorted to calling them all sorts of unprintable names in order to destroy them, adding that Ugborodo community is an autonomous community under the leadership of Olaja-Orori.
Ugborodo community protest alleged enslavement by Olu of WarriFebruary 14th, 2018
By Francis Sadhere, Warri
- Buhari signs 2018 Budget tomorrow
- APC national chairmanship: When obstacles rose against Oshiomhole’s ambition
- JUNE 12, 1993: A Journalist’s account (2)
- ISIS deploying terrorists in Nigeria – Report
- Why corruption cases are delayed, by ICPC boss
- Enugu Catholic crisis deepens as laity rejects Udi Diocese
- Economic Growth: What investors expect from Nigeria – Osinbajo
- I’m not travelling to US – Atiku
- Give workers’ salaries priority, Wike tells new LG chairmen
- APC Convention: Govs move to avert parallel congress, boycott
- Lagos CP redeploys Anti-Cultism Squad
- Our victory in Rivers showcases Wike’s performance-PDP
- 50,000 orphans need help in Northeast-Sultan
- Sallah: Group donates bus to Al-Makura for campaign
- Kaduna to conclude recruitment of 13,665 teachers June ending
- Expert advocates PPP for improved healthcare delivery
- Ondo PDP promises free, fair primaries
- Gov Bindow loses Chief of Staff, Jimeta
- Sallah: 11 youths die in road accident in Katsina
- Super Eagles analysts blowing hot and cold
- Tension as Melaye taken to court in Lokoja
- Drama as Police re-arrest Melaye in Abuja hospital
- Breaking: Police arrest Sen. Dino Arrested at Abuja airport
- We Recovered Stolen Senate Mace Under Bridge – Police
- Breaking news: Thugs invade NASS, escape with Senate Mace
- Buhari officially declares to run for second term
- Ex-Nasarawa Governor, Doma, Dies At 75
- The Future Of Alaigbo & The Federal Republic Of Nigeria
- Ifeanyi Ubah Eulogizes Ekwueme, Says He Was a Bastion of Integrity
- We don’t have any data to back Ngige’s Claim of seven million new jobs – NBS
- Governor Simon Lalong rejects Cattle Colonies
- Ex- President, Olusegun Obasanjo writes Buhari, tells him not to seek Re-Election in 2019
- George Weah sworn in as President of Liberia
- 1 killed, another injured in attack on Plateau community
- Police investigate Gandujiyya/Kwankwasiyya clash
- Armed Forces Remebrance Day: Ganduje seeks better welfare for ex-service men
- 2019: FRCN barred me, says Buhari supporter
- Illegal Occupation: Court orders police to unseal Peace Corps’ office
- Charles Okah in safe custody, says NPS
- Meet the World’s Richest man : Jeff Bezos