Wilder offers $50M to Joshua for unification fight

April 27th, 2018

Heavyweight world titleholder Deontay Wilder on Wednesday gave unified titleholder Anthony Joshua $50 million reasons to fight him next.

Wilder emailed Joshua promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Boxing an offer of a minimum of $50 million for Joshua to fight him for the undisputed heavyweight championship in their next bout – before the end of this year.

Shelly Finkel, who manages Wilder along with Al Haymon and trainer Jay Deas, said the offer is for $50 million against 50 percent of the event revenue, meaning Joshua would make no less than that figure no matter how much the fight generated. If the fight generated more than $100 million, which Finkel believes it could, Joshua would make even more, and if it lost money, the Wilder side would be on the hook to pay Joshua.

“It’s a giant number,” Finkel said. “But it’s also a giant fight.”

Finkel said the offer calls for the Wilder side to select the location of the fight, but they would look to do it in the United States, probably Las Vegas.

He also said there would be no rematch clause and the fight would have to be next for each man. As for the timing of the bout, Finkel said it would take place between September and the end of the year.

“It has to be the next fight for each of them,” he said. “No rematch clause, and it’s for all the belts. We asked for them to send us an acceptance by the end of Thursday. Joshua previously asked for $50 million against 50 percent, and we gave it to them. They probably don’t believe it’s this big of an offer, but it’s an unbelievable offer. I hope they accept. Deontay is thrilled and believes Joshua will take it.”

Similar Post You May Like read more
Just In read more