By Felix Khanoba
The Joint Admissions and Matriculations Board (JAMB) says it has withdrawn results of four candidates over attempt to fake their scores in this year’s Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
The Board listed the affected candidates as Adah Eche, Taiwo Abisola Omowumi, Vincent Onyinyechi Prisca and Sofodun Afolasade Zainab.
This was contained in a statement made available to The AUTHORITY in Abuja on Wednesday and signed by JAMB’s Head of Media, Dr Fabian Benjamin.
The Board said one of the affected candidates, Adah Eche, with registration number 97512230IB, claimed that his initial score of 290 was reduced to 153, only to confess that his allegation was mere fabrication.
The statement reads in part : “Following this claim, Mr. Adah Eche was then invited to the Board’s headquarters where it was eventually proved to him that his (Mr. Adah Eche’s) claim was untrue and he was discovered to have been deeply involved in serious infractions and forgery of examination result.
“He eventually confessed the forgery. Further check on his phone revealed that Mr. Adah Eche was not alone but had been patronized for possible illicit upgrade and faking of result by the other candidates whose names, registration numbers were discovered on Mr. Eche’s phone.
“The Board therefore withdraws and invalidates the results of the four candidates found to have been involved in the illicit attempt to fake JAMB results.”
The examination body also revealed that it has released results of 3,736 candidates that were earlier withheld for further scrutiny.
“It may be recalled that during the release of the 2019 UTME results on Saturday, 11th May, 2019, the Board had explained among others that a post-examination discovery of serious infractions may lead to withdrawal of any released result.
“That a number of candidates’ results were withheld for further verification and anyone not deeply implicated would have his/her result processed.
“After the verification exercise, a number of the results were released and others were cancelled.
“There were, however, some that needed further direct interaction and interview to establish clearly whether they were culpable or not…
“Consequently, 3,736 candidates who were found to be either free of any blame or entitled to the benefit of the doubt, have their results processed for release. The 3, 736 results are now released,” the statement added.