PRESS RELEASE: The Honourable Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Geoffrey Onyeama has commended the International Human Rights Commission (IHRC) of Nigeria for its commitment to the ideals of good governance, justice and peace around the world.
2. Receiving a delegation of the Commission led by the Country Head of the Organisation in Nigeria and West Africa, Ambassador (Dr.) Friday Sani in his office Tuesday, the Honourable Minister noted that the IHRC has demonstrated sufficient goodwill with the people of Nigeria in these trying times of COVID-19 by providing and distributing face masks and assisting in the protection of human rights during the period of the lockdown.
3. The Honourable Minister who expressed gratitude for the Award given to him by the Commission noted that the honour goes to President Muhammadu Buhari who provided the necessary response and sufficient will to tackle the COVID-19 pandemic in Nigeria.
4. The Minister said the setting up of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 by the President was a milestone in Nigeria’s commendable efforts in combating COVID-19 pandemic.
5. Earlier, the leader of the delegation and Country Head of the IHRC in Nigeria, Ambassador (Dr.) Friday Sani extolled the performance of the Ministry under the leadership of the Honourable Minister.
6. He noted that the world today respects Nigeria especially the way it handled the interest of her citizens during this period of COVID-19.
7. The Country Head of IHRC called for the fair treatment of Non-Nigerians in conflict with the law adding that such treatment will also elicit reciprocal response from other countries. He particularly referred to some Ukrainian Citizens who have been in detention in Nigeria for Three (3) years now awaiting trial, calling on the Minister to work with relevant authorities to fast track their release.
8. Ambassador (Dr.) Friday Sani called for the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the IHRC and the Ministry to signify Nigeria’s commitment to the ideal of IHRC which includes peace, justice and human rights
Amb. (Dr.) Friday Sani
Country Head IHRC and Coordinator,
Volunteers IHRC for West African Countries