Suspected Bandits collaborators arrested at Jangebe market with rustle cows on 15 August 2020
The Nigeria Army on Thursday said, its troops of Operation Sahel Sanity deployed in the North-West Zone to combat banditry and other criminality has succeeded in rescuing several kidnapped victims, neutralizing several bandits and arrested many others.
This was contained in a statement issued by Acting Director, Defence Media Operations, Brig. Gen. Bernard Onyeuko
See the statement bellow:
1. The quest towards riding the North-West zone of banditry and other criminalities by troops of Operation SAHEL SANITY is yielding more positive results as the troops neutralize bandits, rescued several kidnap victims and arrested more suspected bandits and their collaborators in recent clearance operations.
2. On 15 August 2020, troops deployed at Jengebe acting on credible intelligence arrested 3 suspected bandit’s collaborators at Jengebe market. The suspects were arrested while attempting to sale 3 rustled cows to unsuspecting customers in the market. Also, troops conducting clearance patrol along Faskari-Sheme road came in contact with suspected bandits. In a bid to escape, the bandits opened fire on sighting approaching troops. Nevertheless, the resilient troops closed in on them with superior fire power forcing the bandits to retreat in disarray with possible gunshot wounds and in the process, abandoned their victims including two kidnapped teenage boys namely Aminu Alka and Nasiru. The two rescued teenagers have been handed over to Faskari LGA Authority for onward reunion with their family.
3. Similarly, on 16 August 2020, troops conducted aggressive clearance operation to some identified bandit’s enclaves in Dumburum Forest. During the operation, troops successfully neutralized 3 bandits and recovered one AK 47 Rifle, 2 empty AK 47 Rifle magazines and 127 rounds of 7.62mm Special ammunition. Also, same day troops deployed at Dandume LGA of Katsina State rescued 4 kidnap victims from suspected bandits at Tudun Ali village following actionable intelligence from the area. The feat was recorded as bandits fled and abandoned the victims on arrival of troops at the village. In the same vain, troops deployed at Bagega while on fighting patrol rescued 3 kidnap victims from suspected bandits’ captivity at Gobirawa village. The rescued victims namely Gaddafi, Sani Bello and Ya’u Abubakar were successfully reunited with their families amid tears of joy and praises for the troops.
4. In another development, gallant troops of Operation SAHEL SANITY thwarted a criminal attempt by bandits to rustle several cattle from villagers at Yadi village in Batsari LGA of Katsina State. The troops who received information about bandits’ activities in the area quickly mobilized to the village forcing the bandits to abandon all the rustled cattles and fled. All the recovered animals were handed over to the rightful owners by the troops.
5. Furthermore, on 17 August 2020, following credible information, troops arrested a suspected bandit named Dahiru Liman. at Ugwan Malama Rama. Preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect has been hibernating in the village following the destruction of their camps at Bakin Lamba during a clearance operation by troops in the general area. Relatedly, on 18 August 2020, troops conducted cordon and search operation at various suspected bandits hideouts, recovered 5 locally fabricated Dane Guns at Unguwar Tsamiya village in Faskari LGA of Katsina. The bandits are suspected to have horridly fled the hideout, therefore abandoning the weapons before the troops arrived.
6. Additionally, 0n 19 August 2020, following credible intelligence which revealed the movement of bandits along Marehe – Danlayi – Bena axis with possible intent to rustle cattle in a village around Bena, troops swiftly mobilized and laid ambush along the route and arrested 1 suspected bandit, Bello Abdulrahman with a machete while 2 others escaped into the bush. The suspect is currently undergoing preliminary investigation while efforts are being intensified to apprehend his fleeing accomplices.
7. In another development, same day on 19 August 2020, troops conducted a cordon and search operation in a suspected building used by bandits and recovered 1 locally made Dane Gun and several charms which were abandoned in a hut at the outskirts of Tsamiya village. Similarly, same day, following a tip off, troops of Combat Team – 4 Operation SAHEL SANITY in the vicinity of Munhaye village conducted cordon and search operation at a building located at the edge of the village suspected to be one of those used by bandits as a rest area. During the search, troops recovered 3 live rounds of 7.62mm Special, some cosmetics, several wrappers, boxes and other household items. Items are suspected to have been looted and used for sustenance by the bandits.
8. Relatedly, on 19 August 2020, troops deployed at Faskari conducted fighting patrol to Yar malamai village following a tip off on sighting 6 suspected bandits within the vicinity of the village. Accordingly, 4 suspected bandits were apprehended by the troops and currently undergoing investigation.
9. To this end, the gallant troops of Operation SAHEL SANITY are commended for the successes so far achieved and their commitment. They are further urged not to rest on their oars. While the people of the North-West are once more assured of troops commitment to the safety of lives and property within the zone. They are also encouraged to continue to avail the troops with information that will assist them in the operation.