By Myke Uzendu
Ahead of the June 20, 2026 governorship election in Ekiti State, 13 political parties on Thursday signed a peace accord, pledging to ensure peaceful conduct before, during, and after the poll.
Among the signatories was Ekiti State Governor and candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Biodun Oyebanji, who reaffirmed the state’s commitment to sustaining its tradition of peaceful elections.
The peace agreement, facilitated by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and the National Peace Committee (NPC), aims to promote issue-based campaigns, discourage violence, and strengthen confidence in the electoral process.
Speaking at the event, INEC Chairman, Prof. Joash Amupitan, urged political parties to move beyond symbolic endorsements and uphold the commitments contained in the accord.
“The peace accord should not just remain on paper; it must be reflected in actions,” Amupitan said, noting Ekiti’s longstanding reputation for political awareness and peaceful democratic participation.
He commended the National Peace Committee for its role in promoting electoral stability across Nigeria and said the commission intends to replicate lessons from the successful management of the 2025 Anambra governorship election.
According to him, INEC has advanced preparations for the Ekiti poll, with deployments planned across the state’s 16 local government areas, 177 registration areas, and 2,445 polling units.
Amupitan disclosed that 1,059,360 registered voters are eligible to participate in the election, following the presentation of the certified voters’ register to political parties.
He added that INEC would deploy part of a 52,446-member NYSC ad hoc workforce earmarked for upcoming off-cycle elections and by-elections nationwide.
The INEC chairman also revealed that 54 media organisations and 470 journalists had applied for accreditation as of May 18, while 96 domestic and two international observer groups had been accredited to monitor the election.
