By Felix Khanoba
The Federal Government has raised concern over the flagrant violation of safety measures put in place to guard against the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic in the country.
Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Otunba Adeniyi Adebayo, said the measures- social distancing, wearing of masks at public places, among others, are being ignored by many Nigerians.
Adebayo stated this in Abuja on Wednesday at the weekly briefing of the Emergency Operation Centre of the Committee on Sustainable Production and Delivery of Essential Commodities During COVID-19.
He said President Muhammadu Buhari, had while announcing ease of lockdown in Lagos and Ogun states as well as the Federal Capital Territory last week, gave clear guidelines on the first phase of the new measures spanning 4th -17th May, 2020 and implored all Nigerians to continue to adhere strictly to the advisories published by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 and the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.
He said regular hand washing, strict mandatory use of face masks or coverings in public, maintaining physical distancing and personal hygiene, avoidance of non-essential movement and travels and avoidance of large gatherings, restrictions on social and religious gatherings were announced as measures to be followed.
Speaking further, the minister expressed sadness over the huge crowds noticed in banks’ premises in Abuja and Lagos State during the week, saying such ugly development compromised safety measures.
He, however, commended security agencies for ensuring free-flow and unhindered movement of foods, pharmaceuticals, medical equipment and other essential commodities across the country as directed by the president.
The minister also lauded President Buhari for appointing the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment, Dr. Nasir Sani-Gwarzo, who is the supervisor of the Emergency Operation Centre, as the Leader of the Presidential Delegation to Tackle COVID-19 in Kano State.