6 KIDNAPPED VICTIMS RESCUED BY TROOPS OF OPERATION HADARIN DAJI WHILE ON FIGHTING PATROL TO DOKA AND TUNGAR DUNA VILLAGES OF ANKA LGA IN ZAMFARA STATE
As Nigerian Army troops sustain their relentless operations across the nation, more elements of the Boko Haram/ISWAP insurgents as well as bandits and other criminal elements have either been neutralised or arrested at their hideouts across the country and more of their abductees have been freed.
The Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. John Enenche, in a statement on Monday in Abuja, said that the troops of Army Super Camp 11, Gamboru, in Ngala Local Government Area of Borno, on May 21, rescued a local, who was abducted around Wulgo general area by some boko haram insurgents.
He said that a hot pursuit by the troops forced the abductors to abandon their victim and flee, adding that they also recovered five bicycles belonging to the abductors.
1. On 21 May 2020, troops of Army Super Camp 11 Gamboru deployed in Ngala LGA of Borno State based on credible intelligence rescued a local who was abducted around Wulgo general area by some Boko Haram criminals. The hot pursuit by the troops forced the abductors to abandon their victim and flee. The troops also recovered 5 bicycles belonging to the abductors.
2. In another development, on 20 May 2020, troops of 251 Task Force Battalion Strong Response Area Dolari deployed at Internally Displaced Persons’ Camp II in conjunction with elements of Borno State Civilian Joint Task Force arrested one Bakura Rawa Modu who was detected loitering within the Camp. During preliminary interrogation, the suspect claimed to be a Motor Boy and further confessed to being a Boko Haram member for the past 5 years. He also disclosed that he coordinated several suicide bombings within Konduga general area in addition to his participation in series of Boko Haram attacks on both military and civilian targets. He further confessed to be a spy sent to monitor activities of troops within the Internally Displaced Persons Camp.
3. Similarly, on 18 May 2020, troops of Strong Response Area Ngoshe while on patrol intercepted a woman named Maryam Ali in the bush. Preliminary investigation revealed that the woman was abducted by Boko Haram criminals 5 years ago after they killed her husband. She further revealed that her escape from Boko Haram criminals was made possible by the devastating artillery and mortar bombardments on the Boko Haram criminals enclave in Gava, Gwoza LGA of Borno State by Nigerian Army troops that killed 15 of the insurgents while many others including herself suffered various degrees of wounds. She was however given First Aid by the troops and later moved to a medical facility for further management.
4. Elsewhere in the North West Region, on 22 May 2020, troops of Operation HADARIN DAJI deployed at Forward Operating Bases Wuya and Jangebe conducted a robust fighting patrol to Doka and Tungar Duna Villages in Anka LGA of Zamfara State. The resilience of the troops led to the discovery of a kidnappers’ hideout at Tungar Duna and subsequent rescue of 6 kidnapped victims from the den as the criminals fled on sighting the advancing troops. The rescued victims have been debriefed and reunited with their families.
5. Similarly, on 20 May 2020, troops of 1 Battalion in conjunction with other security agents mobilized and rescued one Alhaji Ibrahim who was kidnapped by bandits in Laga Village of Bagudo LGA of Kebbi State. Sustained pressure by the Search and Rescue Team made the bandits to abandon the victim and flee. However, the victim was rescued unharmed and subsequently reunited with his family.
6. In another development, on 19 May 2020, the resilient troops of 17 Brigade deployed at Maidabino while on routine patrol intercepted 4 armed bandits riding on 2 motorcycles at Leletu Village moving towards Dunya Forest in Danmusa LGA of Katsina State. In a desperate bid to escape, the bandits opened fire with no effect on the troops while the troops responded effectively, thus neutralizing one of the criminals. Furthermore, troops recovered one AK 47 Rifle, one AK 47 Rifle magazine, 20 rounds of 7.62mm Special ammunition, 2 motorcycles and one handset.
7. Also, on 18 May 2020, troops of 11 Field Engineer Regiment acting on credible intelligence arrested a notorious bandit named Haruna Habu at Kagadama Village in Kubau LGA of Kaduna State and recovered Improvised Explosive Device accessories including explosives, detonating cord, pressure plate, some documents and a locally made weapon from the suspect.
8. In the North Central Region, gallant troops of Operation SAFE HAVEN successfully conducted a raid operation at a bandits’ hideout in Angwan Sarkin Yamma of Mangu LGA of Plateau State on 19 May 2020. The operation led to the recovery of 2 Dane Guns, 6 rounds of 7.62mm Special ammunition and one black military belt.
9. Relatedly, on 19 May 2020, troops of Operation WHIRL STROKE raided a suspected armed bandits’ hideout at Sai in Katsina Ala LGA of Benue State which led to the arrest of one of the key members of Gana militia group named Vandegha Mallika who has been on the wanted list of security agencies for the past 2 years. Preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect had participated in several kidnappings, armed robberies, extortions and other forms of banditry activities mostly in Benue State. Furthermore, the suspect recently threatened to assassinate the ruler (Ter) of Katsina Ala and burn his palace over the ruler’s opposition to Gana’s criminal activities.
10. Also, on 19 May 2020, same troops of Operation WHIRL STROKE deployed at Kufai Amadu in Takum LGA and Akate in Donga LGA of Taraba State acting on credible intelligence simultaneously raided 2 separate locations at Vingre along Takum-Wukari Road and arrested 3 suspected kidnappers. The arrested suspects later led troops to a location where they buried arms. Consequently, troops recovered one AK 47 Rifle, 2 AK 47 Rifle magazines, 26 rounds of 7.62mm Special ammunition and one handset.
11. In the South South Region, on 19 May 2020, acting on credible intelligence, troops of 16 Brigade Garrison (Main) deployed in Harry’s Town, Rivers State stormed a sea pirates’ hideout at Erisekin. Suspects fled the hideout on sighting the approaching troops’ gunboats. Nevertheless, troops recovered one Pump Action gun, one motorcycle and 2 live cartridges from the sea pirates’ den.
12. Equally, on 17 May 2020, same troops of 16 Brigade Garrison (Main) conducted a cordon and search operation at Bukuma Community. Items recovered during the operation include: one AK 47 Rifle, one Pump Action gun, one Wembley and Scott Pistol, 4 AK 47 Rifle magazines, 2 explosives and 48 rounds of 7.62mm Special ammunition. However, no arrest was made as the suspects abadoned the enclave before arrival of troops.
13. Meanwhile, the Chief of Army Staff, congratulates the gallant troops for their resilience, courage and dedication in the defence of our fatherland against all criminal elements. He further encourages them not to relent until all enemies of our dear nation are defeated.