By Felix Khanoba
To ensure the correction needs of candidates who took the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) prior to 2020 or applied through Direct Entry (DE) are accommodated, the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has lifted the suspension earlier placed on processes covering those years.
A statement made available by the board on Sunday said the need to prevent overcrowding at its Computer-Based Test (CBT) centres and other partner facilities, in line with extant COVID -19 protocols, had led it to allow candidates to seek corrections and other processes only through the 2020 UTME or DE platforms.
“This measure had the intended effect of limiting the number of persons visiting the centres,” the statement made available by Dr Fabian Benjamin, JAMB’s Director of Media, said.
The exam body said as the government continues to ease COVID-19 lockdown leading to the resumption of students in exit classes, the number of 2020 UTME candidates needing one service or another at the various centres has drastically gone down, prompting the Board to open up its platforms to accommodate more requests especially from previous years.
“Therefore, all requests for printing of admission letters, inter-university transfers, condonement of illegitimate admissions and other processes for previous years which had been hitherto suspended would now be restored from Monday, 31st August, 2020.
“However, it is to be noted that most of these operations are only available at JAMB offices nationwide. Furthermore, as the Board is desirous of sustaining compliance with COVID-19 protocols, it maintains that 2020 UTME candidates desirous of these services will only be attended to under a regulated format which would allow our offices to attend to only a specific number of candidates per day.
“The Board urges all state offices to ensure that all clients comply with all existing COVID -19 protocols,” the statement read.