By Chuks Oyema-Aziken
The Headquarters, Theatre Command, Joint Task Force (North East), Operation HADIN KAI (OPHK), has dismissed as false and misleading a viral video alleging non-payment of allowances to troops and victimisation of a soldier in the North-East theatre of operations.
In a statement issued on Sunday by the Media Information Officer of Operation HADIN KAI, Lieutenant Colonel Sani Uba, the Theatre Command said all legitimate allowances due to troops had been fully paid up to May 2026, stressing that the claims contained in the video were “false, misleading and a deliberate attempt to misinform the public and discredit the military command structure.”
Uba clarified that the money referenced in the video was not an operational allowance, explaining that troops had continued to receive their Ration Cash Allowance (RCA), Operational Allowance and Habit Allowance without interruption.
According to him, the complaint in the viral video relates to an additional incentive paid to troops providing security at a critical national asset in Tuba, which is only disbursed when funds are available.
He explained that the incentive was initially funded by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) during its exploration activities, while the Borno State Government maintained a separate payment arrangement for the Police and Volunteer Forces.
However, following the cessation of exploration activities by the NNPC, payment of the incentive to troops was halted, prompting the Borno State Government to assume responsibility for the arrangement.
“Efforts are ongoing to incorporate the payment of troops into the same plan for the Police and Volunteer Forces,” the statement said.
The command further disclosed that when concerns were raised over the delay, the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 7 Division, Brigadier General Solomon Diwa, assured personnel during an operational visit that he would liaise with relevant authorities to ensure payment once funds were released.
The Theatre Command also dismissed allegations that a soldier was intimidated or punished for speaking out, describing such claims as “entirely unfounded.”
Uba said preliminary findings showed that the video was not produced by the soldier concerned, but by a content creator allegedly known for publishing misleading content sourced from “a few disgruntled individuals.”
“The Theatre Command regards this act as unpatriotic and a deliberate attempt to tarnish the image of the Armed Forces,” he stated.
The military also warned that the dissemination of unauthorised information on operational matters violates the Armed Forces’ social media policy and could attract sanctions in line with military regulations.
Reaffirming its commitment to personnel welfare, the command said the Military High Command had put measures in place to ensure prompt payment of all legitimate entitlements while collaborating with stakeholders to improve funding timelines for supplementary allowances.
Operation HADIN KAI urged media organisations and members of the public to avoid spreading unverified reports capable of undermining troop morale and national security efforts, reiterating its commitment to restoring peace and stability in the North-East.
