News

DHQ dismisses claims of terrorist bases in South-West, says Oyo school abduction isolated criminal act

By Chuks Oyema-Aziken

The Defence Headquarters has rejected reports alleging the presence of established terrorist bases in Nigeria’s South-West, describing the recent abduction of pupils and staff in Oyo State as an isolated criminal incident.

The military gave the clarification while confirming ongoing rescue operations for victims abducted from Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Ahoro-Esinele; and L.A. Primary School in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.

This was contained in a statement issued on Tuesday by the Director of Defence Media Operations, Major General Michael Onoja, who said troops were actively pursuing the abductors through forest corridors across the region.

According to the statement, troops had made contact with the kidnappers two days earlier and had since intensified coordinated operations with other security agencies and local vigilante groups to secure the release of the victims.

The Defence Headquarters maintained that intelligence reports do not support claims of any entrenched or permanent terrorist presence in the South-West, stressing that the incident should not be misinterpreted as evidence of organised insurgent bases.

It described the abduction as a standalone criminal act, noting that it does not reflect the security reality of the region.

The statement also recalled that troops had previously carried out extensive clearance operations within the Old Oyo National Park, during which criminal elements operating in the area were neutralised.

It further stated that current intelligence assessments show no indication of structured terrorist camps within forests or remote areas in the South-West.

The military cautioned against misinformation capable of causing public panic or exaggerating the strength of criminal groups operating in isolated areas.

Meanwhile, the Chief of Defence Staff, Olufemi Oluyede, condemned the abduction, describing the attack as “callous and reprehensible.”

Oluyede expressed sympathy with the families of the victims and the Oyo State Government, assuring that the Armed Forces remain fully committed to securing the safe and unconditional release of all abducted pupils and staff.

He urged Nigerians to remain calm, united, and supportive of ongoing security operations aimed at restoring peace and stability.

Related Posts

This News Site uses cookies to improve reading experience. We assume this is OK but if not, please do opt-out. Accept Read More