Education

Alausa hails Tinubu as FEC unlocks funds to revive 18-year abandoned national library

By Felix Khanoba

The Minister of Education, Dr. Maruf Tunji Alausa, has hailed President Bola Tinubu for approving funds to revive and complete the National Library of Nigeria Headquarters Complex in Abuja, a project abandoned for 18 years.

The Federal Executive Council (FEC) approved the augmentation of the existing contract for the completion and comprehensive furnishing of the project, which has remained stalled since 2008.

A statement signed by his Special Adviser on Media and Communications, Ikharo Attah, on Sunday, said Alausa, while reacting to the approval, said the President’s intervention had provided the leadership and financial backing required to return the long-delayed project to the construction track.

He said the development was another indication that the country’s education sector was moving in a “glorious path”.

The National Library Headquarters project commenced on April 29, 2006, with an initial two-year completion timeline. However, construction was halted in October 2008, leaving the major facility unfinished through successive administrations.

According to Alausa, President Tinubu, after assuming office, directed the mobilisation of funds from available sources, including the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund), to ensure the project was completed.

“President Bola Tinubu, when he came in, mandated that we look for funds, real funds, that we use in completing this National Library. He directed that we source funds from Tertiary Education Trust Fund, and we’ve cobbled some funds together,” the Minister said.

He also commended the First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, for her intervention, noting that she directed that gifts received during her birthday celebration be channelled towards the completion of the National Library.

Alausa said the initiative generated about ₦25 billion, which, alongside funds sourced through TETFund and other efforts, strengthened the financial resources available for the project.

“Combined with the money we’ve sourced from TETFund, the Council today approved the augmentation of the existing contract for the completion of the construction of the National Library of Nigeria Headquarters Building Complex in Abuja,” Dr. Alausa said.

The Minister expressed optimism that construction activities would resume fully in the coming months, describing the development as a major milestone for the education sector.

He stressed that the National Library was not merely an infrastructure project but a national knowledge centre designed to support learning, research and scholarship, facilitate access to information and preserve Nigeria’s intellectual heritage.

Alausa said the President’s intervention demonstrated the administration’s commitment to completing critical education infrastructure, particularly projects that had been abandoned for extended periods.

He expressed appreciation to Tinubu for providing the support that had moved the National Library project from prolonged abandonment towards completion, while also commending the First Lady for her financial contribution.

“Abandoned National Library for 18 years, President Bola Tinubu has now been able to mobilise funds, cobbled funds together, for work to go back, to start again at the National Library. We thank you, Mr. President,” he said.

The Minister expressed confidence that the renewed funding would ultimately transform the abandoned structure into a fully furnished and functional national centre of knowledge serving current and future generations.

Related Posts

This News Site uses cookies to improve reading experience. We assume this is OK but if not, please do opt-out. Accept Read More