By Chuks Oyema-Aziken
The Defence Headquarters has said ongoing joint counterterrorism operations between Nigerian forces and the United States have dealt a major blow to ISIS terrorists operating in North East Nigeria, with 175 militants reportedly eliminated.
The military said the coordinated strikes, conducted in collaboration with the United States Africa Command, also led to the destruction of terrorist checkpoints, weapons caches, logistical hubs, military equipment and financial networks sustaining insurgent activities.
This was disclosed in a statement issued on Tuesday by the Director of Defence Information, Samaila Uba.
According to the statement, the joint strikes, which began a few days ago, have continued to intensify, with battlefield assessments as of May 19 indicating that 175 ISIS militants had been neutralised.
The Defence Headquarters said the operations also resulted in the elimination of several senior ISIS commanders, including Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, described as one of the most significant ISIS operatives globally.
The military said al-Minuki played a key role in ISIS external operations, coordinating terrorist financing, recruitment, logistics and attack planning targeting Nigerians and civilians in other parts of the world.
According to the statement, his death has significantly disrupted ISIS command structures, operational coordination and external attack networks.
Other insurgent figures reportedly eliminated during the strikes include Abd-al Wahhab, identified as a senior ISWAP leader responsible for coordinating attacks and distributing propaganda, Abu Musa al-Mangawi, said to be a senior ISWAP member, and Abu al-Muthanna al-Muhajir, described as a senior media production manager and close associate of al-Minuki.
The Defence Headquarters noted that the latest operation further reinforces the long-standing efforts of the Armed Forces of Nigeria in tracking and eliminating terrorist elements across the country.
It added that the joint operations would continue in a sustained effort to dismantle terrorist networks and neutralise threats to national and regional stability.
The military reaffirmed its commitment to intensifying counterterrorism operations aimed at restoring peace and protecting citizens in affected areas of the country.
