By Daniel Tyokua
Following the continued spread of Coronavirus in some states across the country and Abuja, major streets and popular areas in the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, have been deserted as the residents begin sit-at- home
The AUTHORITY recall that Coronavirus pandemic first case was recorded on February 27 when an Italian citizen returned from Milan to Nigeria.
However in the early of Tuesday, the ever busy Ahmadu Bello way that connects Federal Capital Territory Administration secretariat, Area II and Federal secretariat, Federal ministry of finance, popular Banex plaza in Wuse were all empty as only few private vehicles were plying the route.
This follows the first COVID-19 death that was recorded in Abuja on Monday, with increasing suspected cases.
One of the motorists, who identified himself as Taiwo Aderibigbe told The AUTHORITY that, “I stay in Mpape, I came inside the town this morning with only three passengers, since then I only picked one person from Federal Ministry of finance to FCDA.
“Since yesterday evening many people complained that with the coronavirus cases in Abuja, they will stay at home with thier families” he said.
A staff at FCDA who don’t want his name mentioned, said: ” ogo, I am here to see if directors and other senior staff will come to work, but you can see that car parks and offices are empty, this shows that there is fear every where” he said.
At the popular Gambiya Street in Area II near NNPC quarters most of the supermarkets and a commercial bank were offering skeletal services.
However on March 9: The second case was confirmed, a Nigerian who had contact with the Italian citizen.March 17: The third case was confirmed, a 30-year-old Nigerian who returned from the United Kingdom.
Also March 18: Nigeria confirmed five new cases of the virus, four of the new cases were in Lagos while one was in Ekiti. March 19: The country confirmed four new cases of the virus. March 21: 10 new cases were recorded: seven in Lagos, and three in Abuja. March 22: Nigeria confirmed five new cases, three in Lagos, one in Oyo, and one in Abuja.
March 23: Five new cases confirmed, two of which are returning travellers from the UK with the death of Suleiman Achumugu, which it was reported that he had some underline illness.
Though residents at the outskirts of Karu,Nyanya, Kuje, Kwali ,Zuba and Kubwa around NYSC junction defy the disease spread and were going about with their normal business activities.